Jay’s Blog #1
I’ll make my first attempt at writing this blog, in an attempt to pass some information along too you that might be of some interest to you.
Back in November of 2013, I was looking ahead to some major back surgery and wasn’t getting around as well as I would have liked. As has been stated in a previous blog, Linda asked me if I could use some of her sewing patterns and make some wood items.
At that time I needed something to keep me busy, so I gave it a try. As noted before my first project was the black leopard and it turned out too be an eye opener. It’s now been approximately 13 months and I can honestly say that I learn something new on each project I complete.
When using the first patterns I would cut all of the line intersections and corners so I could pencil mark them and then fill in all of the intersecting lines after I removed the pattern from the wood, this was all hand work, so I was basically drawing all of the items I was making and it was taking about 50% of my time just adapting the patterns and transferring them too the wood.
About 6 months ago a neighbor, (who also does woodworking) asked me why I wasn’t using transfer paper. I told him that I couldn’t answer his question, because I had never used it and as a matter of fact I hadn’t even thought about, or considered it.
I ended up getting some graphite transfer paper. I got black because I use new wood and the black shows up good on the new wood. OK, the reason I have spent so much time telling you this story is because it has taken the original 50% of my time statement and cut that percentage down too maybe 5% total working time now.
In my next blog I will go too the next step of getting the drawing on the wood and where I go from there.